Wolf Trap Drive-In Movie Snack Recipes
Jul 31, 2020
Attending the Wolf Trap Drive-In from August 5-9 and wondering what to do before the movie starts? Have a picnic, of course! It wouldn’t be a true Wolf Trap experience without a few snacks before the show.
Since Concessions will not be open, pack a summer dinner or throw your favorite goodies into a picnic basket and you’ll be set to go!
Level up on the popcorn game and try making a savory treat like Soft Pretzels (gluten free) or Hot Bacon Feta Dip, with recipes courtesy of Wolf Trap’s kitchen.
SOFT PRETZELS (gluten free)
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon or 1 pack quick acting yeast
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 3 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking and Biscuit Mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Honey, for brushing
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling on top
- Combine water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl; allow to sit for 5 minutes until mixture foams. Put baking mix, salt, baking powder, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Process until blended. Add yeast mixture. Process until ball of dough forms. Process an additional minute to knead dough.
- Remove dough from food processor bowl and place in a mixing bowl. Brush top of dough lightly with canola oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto countertop or cutting board. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope, about the diameter of a marker. If air pockets form, pinch dough along the length of the rope and then roll it out into a smooth rope. Form into a pretzel. Cover formed pretzels with plastic wrap and less rise at room temperature for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Bring water and baking soda to a boil. Gently place pretzels in the boiling water, cooking for 1 minute. Remove pretzels from water and drain well. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush tops with honey and sprinkle with some kosher salt.
- Bake until golden brown in color, about 12-14 minutes.
HOT BACON FETA DIP
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 12 ounces good quality crumbled feta
- 1 cup pico de gallo (or diced tomato)
- ½ cup cooked and chopped bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Diced tomato for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a small casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and feta slightly browned.
- Top with extra tomatoes for garnish.
- Serve warm with pita chips, toasty bread, pretzel chips, or crackers.